Straitsmouth Island Lighthouse (Straitsmouth Light) was originally built in 1835 to mark the entrance to nearby Rockport Harbor. The current brick lighthouse was built in 1896 and is owned by the Town of Rockport including the 1.8 acres the stations stands on. Straitsmouth Light is maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard. The remaining 31 acres of land is owned by the Mass Audubon Society which serves as a bird and wildlife sanctuary. The only way to access the island is by boat. There are moorings near the northeast side of the island. The lighthouse is closed to the public. The best viewing spots are downtown Rockport, Bearskin Neck, and of course by sea.
Straitsmouth Island Lighthouse (Straitsmouth Island Light)
Rockport, MA 01966